Keeping Up With Copyright

After what I call “the late controversy,” I’m gradually getting back to genealogy. But given the reaction to the recent series, I’ve decided that every now and then, GeneaBlogie will feature copyright and other legal matters that I hope will benefit the community. I ‘m thinking we’ll even have some interviews with leading experts in the field. The idea is to keep us up to date on developments that affect us as Web publishers. How about it?

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:

Craig

8 Responses to “Keeping Up With Copyright”

• Janice says:

Craig,

Your idea is great!!! :)

Janice

• NevadaGenealogist says:

WONDERFUL IDEA !
    I vote YES…
    There is a great need for factual informtion regarding copyright as it pertains to the web. Thank you for helping many of us understand this complicated (at least in my brain) aspect of law.

• Miriam says:

Craig, I think this is a wonderful idea! I really enjoyed your posts on this topic so far; they were informative and–especially for our community–pertinent.

• Moultrie Creek says:

I’m always interested in learning more about copyright law and would appreciate any insight you could provide.

As informative as those articles have been, I enjoy the stories of your family much more.

• Lindsay says:

Definitely! Your series was both useful and enlightening.

• Joy says:

I’m not a Web publisher, but I think it’s a great idea.

Joy

• Lindsay says:

Some (selfish) suggestions:
    What are the guiding principles as to whether a compilation of facts is copyrightable? How often is a straight-forward transcription copyrightable? What were the important cases in these issues?

Is it true that you can’t copyright a scan or photo of a two-dimensional work?

I sometimes get the impression that people are mistaken about what sorts of things are copyrightable.

• Craig Manson says:

Excellent suggestions, Lindsay! We’ll take them up at some point soon.