From Centennial History of Missouri, Vol. III (St Louis-Chicago: S.J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1921)
Charles W. Steiner, president and treasurer of the Steiner Engraving & Badge Company, of St. Louis, was here born October 5, 1860, the son of Otto and Mrs. Katherine (Oehler) Steiner, who came from Germany to the new world in early childhood. They were married in St. Louis. The father long followed the cooper trade but lived retired in the latter part of his life and passed away June 21, 1896, at the age of seventy years. His widow survives and resides at No. 1507 Destraham street, having for sixty-three years made her home in St. Louis. In their family were four sons and three daughters. Bertha is the wife of Albert H. Haeseler, president of the A. H. Haeseler Building & Contracting Company; Minnie C. is a teacher in the public schools; Carrie is manager of the Steiner Jewelry Company; Fred L. is secretary of the St. Louis Clock & Silverware Company; Otto G. is president of the Schoenlau-Steiner Trunk Top & Veneer Company; Albert S. is an oculist and aurist, practicing in St. Louis, where all the other members of the family also reside.
Charles W. Steiner attended the public schools and also pursued an art course in the Washington University, attending a night class. In 1875 he took up engraving and in 1881 he entered the employ of J. J. Linck & Company, engravers, of St. Louis. In 1885 he purchased the interest of Mr. Linck in the business, and the firm name of Trebus & Steiner was then assumed. Under this caption the business was continued until 1899 when it was incorporated as the Steiner Engraving & Badge Company, Mr. Trebus retiring from the firm at that time. The business was first located at No. 210 Chestnut street, there it was carried on from 1879 until 1896, using one thousand square feet. A removal was then made to No. 11 North Eighth street, where two floors gave to them two thousand five hundred square feet. In 1907 another removal was made, the factory being established at Twentieth and Mullanphy streets, where enlarged facilities gave them seven thousand square feet, while the sales and show rooms were opened at 820 Pine street. In 1912 the sales and display rooms were removed to 804 Pine street, where they have their pleasant quarters on the second floor. They do everything in badge work, stamping and engraving, and the business is one of large and gratifying proportions.
On the 14th of August, 1894, in St. Louis, Mr. Steiner was .married to Miss Selina Surkamp, a daughter of Christopher and Christina Surkamp, the former a lumber merchant, who in his later years lived retired, and passed away in St. Louis in 1910. His widow survived him for several years, her death occurring in 1917. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Steiner have been born two daughters. Flora C., who was a successful teacher in the public schools of St. Louis, was married in December, 1918, to Herbert G. Mesloh, who is with the A. H. Haeseler Building & Contracting Company; the other daughter, Mildred K., is still a teacher in the public schools.
In his political views Mr. Steiner has always been a republican, and during the administration of Mayor F. H. Kreismann, he was a member of the Public Recreation Commission. He is now secretary of the Municipal Athletic Association and is a member of several fraternal orders and clubs in the city. He is likewise very active in athletics, in which he has been keenly interested from early youth. Through athletics and outdoor sports he has maintained a well balanced nature, these interests giving him the needed exercise that keeps him in trim for the arduous demands that are made upon him as the president and treasurer of the Steiner Engraving & Badge Company. In this connection he has built up a business of substantial proportions as the result of his spirit of enterprise, his quick intelligence, and his forceful character. His plans are carefully formulated and promptly executed and the excellence of the work which his house turns out insures a continued and liberal patronage.
Note: Charles W. Steiner died on February 14, 1950, at the age of 89. The Steiner Engraving & Badge Company manufactured badges and other devices for Catholic organizations such as the Holy Name Society and the Knights of Peter Claver. See the previous post for an example of Steiner’s work.
February 9, 2010 Tuesday at 4:12 pm