A Very Quiet Blogaversary

This week marks six years since Geneablogie went online.  It was an inauspicious start; I had no idea what I was doing or what I really wanted to do.  I just let it flow.  Then after a few years it became very good (or least fairly good).  That was a great feeling! There were actually readers and subscribers and commenters.  Then came 2010.

2010 has been one strange year. I’ve had to manage my health (back surgery in February) and a new job (which is terrific.).  I’m keeping a close watch on parental health, as are a lot of people my age.  And in the midst of it all, I haven’t yet figured out the new rhythm of Geneablogie.  So the time between posts has gotten longer.  The train on the Grand Genealogy Tour, for example,  has been more like a slow boat. To me, having been raised in radio, a day or two or three without a post on a blog is like dead air in broadcasting: the mark of an amateur; a fireable offense if severe enough. (It has occurred to me to fire the editor-in-chief of Geneablogie, consult the marketing experts, do some focus groups, bring in a whole new management team and revamp the format.  Oh yeah, that’s what ruined radio.)  But then I’ve realized that I’m not being fair to myself or to the Loyal and Constant Reader(s) (I think there’s still at least one). There was no management failure here.  What It Was Was (to use Andy Griffith’s classic syntax)…Life! And life is what happens.  As the Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius said, everything happens just as it’s supposed to.

I do have some new ideas for Geneablogie and I like them.  I’m not going to put any timetable on the rollout and I’m not going to tease them either.  But you’ll know them when you see them.

In the meantime,  let’s celebrate this blogoversary by toasting some of those who consistently are doing the best work in this field; “this field”  being that of the independent family historian/genealogist blogger.   (There’s a risk to doing this I understand; that being that I will miss or forget someone that I intended to put on the list.  Please forgive me if that happens.  Or let me know; one thing that has also suffered in 2010 has been my ability to keep up with the 1000-plus items that turn up in my reader on a daily basis).  Since I don’t intend to rank order these in any way (having only a vaguely subjective methodology to do so), I’ve organize them along the lines of Major League Baseball. But like the NCAA basketball tournament, the organizational scheme may have nothing to do with geography!

I’ll probably do an NFL version with different folks later in the year.

So to celebrate our blogoversary, please join me in a toast to the major leagues of the Geneablogosphere! [Note that the list does not include certain Hall of Famers!]

American League East

Denise Olson, The Moultrie Creek Gazette (and more)
footnoteMaven, Shades of The Departed and footnoteMaven
Bill West,  West in New England
Mark Tucker, Think Genealogy
Denise Levenick, The Family Curator

American League Central
Julie Cahill Tarr, Genblog
Taneya Koonce, Taneya’s Genealogy Blog
Tamura Jones, Modern Software Experience
Thomas MacEntee, GeneaBloggers (and more)
Amy Coffin, We Tree

Pat Richley-Erickson, DearMYRTLE
Blake Bettinger, The Genetic Genealogist
Lisa Alzo, The Accidental Genealogist
Martin Hollick, The Slovak Yankee

Natioal Leauge West
Randy Seaver, Genea-Musings
Kathryn Doyle, California Ancestors (blog of the California Genealogical Society & Library)
George Geder, Geder Genealogy
Elizabeth O’Neal, Little Bytes of Life
Miria Midkiff, Ancestories
Steve Danko, Steve’s Genealogy

Top prospects:  Elyse Doerflinger, A.C. Ivory

OFF
Craig

24 Responses to “A Very Quiet Blogaversary”

• Geez, what was I thinking? Must have had one of “those” senior moments – in my initial comment I said that I was “finally” glad to get to meet you at Jamboree. So not true! Since we had actually met in April, I was glad to be able to see you AGAIN!!

Anyway, Craig, happy blogoversary!!! And hope to see you again someday.

• Happy Blogoversary Craig! I love baseball! I’m so happy to be included in your major leagues! What an honor!

• Heather Rojo says:

Congrats on you blogoversary, and thanks for such a wonderful list! I look forward to checking out all the blogs I don’t know, and congrats, too, to those who made your list.

• Happy belated blogaversary, Craig! Six years is quite an accomplishment!

Like you, I too have been sidelined by “life happening,” although mine hasn’t involved back surgery (yet). I’m so glad that you’re making a speedy recovery and are in good spirits!

I’m so looking forward to seeing you at the California Family Expo next month. Maybe you can explain to me why Sheri’s grandmother is for sale??

Oh, and thank you for including me in your Major League!

• Dear Craig,

The best of everything to a true gentleman and scholar who is always available to assist fellow geneabloggers with his extensive knowledge and in true kindness.

Happy Blogoversary … and many more!

Thank you for including Tracing the Tribe and the MyHeritage Genealogy Blog in the American League West!!!!

Schelly Talalay Dardashti
    Tracing the Tribe: The Jewish Genealogy Blog
    MyHeritage Genealogy Blog

• Congratulations on such a long run. Here’s to hoping you get back into the swing of blogging. I love your posts!

• Tamura Jones says:

What’s this talk about basketball?
    That ain’t cricket ;-)

• Craig says:

Oh, but you’re mistaken…except about the cute part.

• Sheri Fenley says:

You are one of a very few who sets the bar for us all Craig. Well, that and you’re kinda cute too:)

And now I shall sing:

HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TO YOU, HAPPY 6TH BLOGAVERSARY DEAR CRAAAAAIGGG, HAPPY BLOGAVERSARY TO YOUUUU!

ps. my grandmother is still for sale

• Bill West says:

Happy 6th Blogiversary, Craig! And thank you for the honor of being in your Major Leagues. You, sir, are in my Hall of Fame, btw.

• Craig:

Congratulations!

How I love you, and how I know “life happens.”

It is just like you to turn your celebration into a party for your friends. I am proud to be one, and honored to be included.

Here’s to many more years of information I can’t live without.

-fM

• Greta Koehl says:

Happy Blogoversary, and many thanks for including me on the lineup (and if I can’t be with the Red Sox, then being where the Brooklyn Dodgers are supposed to be is mighty fine!). Yeah, life happens, and a lot of it has been happening to a lot of GeneaBloggers. But you see that we are all still reading – because you are all about quality, quality, quality.

• Happy “belated” blogoversary! Six years is a long time in blogosphere years, I’m glad you’re still here and look forward to reading more in the future. I’m also glad that we finally got to meet at Jamboree last June and spend some time together – even if we didn’t find that elusive gravemarker!

• Apple says:

Happy Blogiversary Craig! I’m surprised I made the team. Like you my health issues and my mother’s have really thrown off my year. Here’s hoping we both get back on track and that you have a great 7th and I make it to 5.

• Donna says:

Craig,

Happy Blogiversary! You will always be one of my favorites whether you have time to post frequently or not (I do miss your posts though!). I love the new look of your blog, and I also have to thank you for putting me in your lineup (and in the Phillies’ division…). Here’s to many more blogging years…and hopefully I can meet you sometime in 2011!

Donna

• Amy Coffin says:

Happy 6th (!) blogiversary to you! It is such a pleasure to read your blog and love every stop on the Grand Genealogy Tour.

Thank you so much for including me in your major league. It is such an honor.

I’ll be in Pleasanton for the Expo and look forward to seeing you there.

• Happy blogaversary, Craig! I always enjoy reading your blog as it offers such lucid, intelligent comments – they always bring me new understanding. Unlike you I DO tend to “rank” blogs – and I have a small list of favorites that I look as daily to see what’s new. Yours is one of them…but shhhhh…please don’t tell anyone in case others get jealous!!

• Anne says:

BRAVO!! and Congrats on your blogaversary. You write a great blog.

• Happy 6th Craig! Thank you for six years of great blogging and for sharing your expertise with the genealogy world. I’m honored to be included in your MLB line-up. Love the new look, too!

• John says:

Congratulations on your six years!

(And thanks, not only for including me, but putting me in the same division as my beloved Cardinals.)

• Jasia says:

Congratulations on 6 fabulous years of blogging, Craig! I’ve missed you lately. Isn’t that nice to hear?

I know what you mean about “life happens”. I’ve been sidelined a bit this year and I too have been lax in my blogging, but not intentionally!

Hugs and kisses and very best wishes,
    Jasia

• Congratulations on another great year – no matter your posting schedule, you make great contributions to the genealogy community! And I’m looking forward to more great stuff!

• A very, very happy blogaversary, Craig! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog for all these many years and was quite thrilled we got to meet at last this June. I’m toasting you and your blog with my Diet Rite: May we see many, many more posts in the future from one of my favorite geneabloggers and fellow researchers, YOU! :-)

• Denise Olson says:

Wow! Has it really been that long? Time flies when you’re having fun and I haven’t had this much fun since I met that crazy SF character I later married. I’m looking forward to the next episode of the fantasy research trip . . .

Thanks for sharing this special day with all us GeneaBlogie fans.

–Denise